Getting medical attention is important for addressing the physical consequences of any type of assault, even if you do not wish to submit a report to the police or to the University.

  • If you can, seeking medical attention within 24 hours of a sexual assault is most ideal for medical and preventative treatment.
  • To seek medical assistance, you can go to a hospital emergency room, clinic, your primary care physician, or Deacon Health (if you are a Reynolda campus student). All of these resources are confidential.

If you go to the emergency room, you should be able to receive preventative care, treatment, and referrals to follow-up care. You should also have the option of evidence collection.

  • You do not have to report the crime to have a sexual assault forensic exam but the process gives you the chance to safely store evidence should you decide to report at a later time. In most cases, sexual assault forensic exams can be performed up to 72 hours after the assault.
  • You have a right to a medical advocate. The emergency room charge nurse should contact a medical advocate from Family Services or the Wake Forest Safe Office to accompany you through any evidence collection process.
  • Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center and Forsyth Medical Center have sexual assault nurse examiners (SANE). Deacon Health does not have a SANE but will offer you transportation to Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center or Forsyth Medical Center. SANE are registered nurses who have completed specialized education and clinical preparation in the medical forensic care of the patient who has experienced sexual assault or abuse.
  • To preserve evidence, avoid showering, bathing and brushing your teeth (when possible). Also, avoid washing your clothes. You can wear the same clothing to the hospital or take the clothes with you. If you put your clothes in a bag, make sure it is a paper bag.

The emergency room may also contact the police. It is your choice whether or not you talk with the police. If you choose to talk with the police they will take information for a police report and this information will be forwarded to the Title IX Coordinator for handling under University policies.