Make Sure You Are Safe

If you are in danger at any time, please call the Winston-Salem Police Department at 911 or, if on the Reynolda campus, call the Wake Forest University Police Department at 336.758.5911. If you are injured, get medical attention right away.

Other Resources:

Seek Medical Assistance

Getting medical attention is important for addressing the physical consequences of any type of assault, even if you do not wish to submit a report to the police or to the University.

  • If you can, seeking medical attention within 24 hours of a sexual assault is most ideal for medical and preventative treatment.
  • To seek medical assistance, you can go to a hospital emergency room, clinic, your primary care physician, or Deacon Health (if you are a Reynolda campus student). All of these resources are confidential.

If you go to the emergency room, you should be able to receive preventative care, treatment, and referrals to follow-up care. You should also have the option of evidence collection.


  • You do not have to report the crime to have a sexual assault forensic exam but the process gives you the chance to safely store evidence should you decide to report at a later time. In most cases, sexual assault forensic exams can be performed up to 72 hours after the assault.
  • You have a right to a medical advocate. The emergency room charge nurse should contact a medical advocate from Family Services or the Wake Forest Safe Office to accompany you through any evidence collection process.
  • Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center and Forsyth Medical Center have sexual assault nurse examiners (SANE). Deacon Health does not have a SANE but will offer you transportation to Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center or Forsyth Medical Center. SANE are registered nurses who have completed specialized education and clinical preparation in the medical forensic care of the patient who has experienced sexual assault or abuse.
  • To preserve evidence, avoid showering, bathing and brushing your teeth (when possible). Also, avoid washing your clothes. You can wear the same clothing to the hospital or take the clothes with you. If you put your clothes in a bag, make sure it is a paper bag.

The emergency room may also contact the police. It is your choice whether or not you talk with the police. If you choose to talk with the police they will take information for a police report and this information will be forwarded to the Title IX Coordinator for handling under University policies.

Seek Advocacy and Counseling

The University has a number of offices that provide advocacy and counseling to individuals who have experienced sexual misconduct.

Advocacy and counseling services are confidential. Confidential resources are those resources that do not have mandatory reporting requirements to the University’s Title IX Coordinator and law enforcement. Confidential resources include the Safe Office, mental health counselors and other medical professionals when such persons are providing services in their respective roles as counselors and medical professionals.

Non-Confidential Resources

LGBTQ Center
Benson University Center 311
Monday through Friday from 9 am – 5 pm

Women’s Center
Benson University Center 314
Monday through Friday from 9 am – 5 pm

  • Resources to reflect on individual and collective experiences and identities

Confidential Resources

Safe Office
24 Hour Line: 336.758.5285

  • Crisis Response
  • 24/7 Support
  • Advocacy
  • Support Services
  • Programming

Family Services, Inc.
*Non-University Community Resource
1200 Broad Street, Winston-Salem, NC 27101
336.722.8173 or 1.800.316.5513
24 Hour Crisis Line for Sexual Assault: 336.722.4457
24 Hour General Crisis Line:

  • Individual and group counseling and education opportunities
  • Domestic Violence Shelter (information available through the General Crisis Line)

University Counseling Center
Reynolda Hall Suite 117
Monday through Friday from 8:30 am to 5 pm

  • Counseling Services

Office of Chaplain
Reynolda Hall Suite 8

  • Spiritual Support
  • Spiritual Counseling

Employee Assistance Program (EAP)

  • Counseling Services

Ombuds Office

The University Ombuds Office provides a safe space where WFU staff, faculty, and administrators can talk in confidence about any campus issue, problem or dispute.